You can manually configure your store to calculate tax rates for different regions, zones, countries.
How to setup
For example you need to create 7.5% tax for California.
- Go to your Control panel → Settings → Zones page. Press the "New Zone" button.
- Change the name of the created destination zone. Then click on the "Add state..." button and add the necessary state (e.g. "United States: California"). Save the changes.
- Go to the Settings → Taxes page.
- Press the "New Tax" button.
- Enter your tax name and define the other settings
- Click on the "New Rate" button. Select the zone created earlier and enter the tax rate(for example 7.5%). Save the changes.
- If you have many destination zones, repeat the steps above for each of them.
- If you want to set up the same rate for several different states, you can create a zone consisting of these states and set up tax rate for this zone.
- There is also a pre-defined zone named "Other zones" that defines tax for locations matching no zone mentioned in the rate list.